Sunday, November 12, 2023

The Highlight of the Course for Me: As You Wish Deference (Trademarked)

 As we approach our last week of Con Law I, I have a few thoughts. This is my last time teaching Con Law I--I want to spend more time playing with grandkids and reading the Bible--and I have very much enjoyed this semester. I enjoy regular "office hours in the lobby" and chatting with students, some days for a full 90 minutes after class has ended. I've enjoyed talking (and learning) about new topics such as the Major Questions Doctrine, and state action and censorship of speech on social media platforms.

And the highlight of the course for me was coining the phrase "as you wish deference" to describe the Court as a love-sick farm boy when deferring to power grabs by Congress. My thanks to Westley (Farm Boy), Princess Buttercup, and The Princess Bride movie for serving as my muse for this descriptive phrase.

I hope to see many of you next year in either (or both) of First Amendment or Con Law Seminar.

Let's finish strong!

PS: What would Inigo Montoyo say when the Court held that "necessary" means convenient?

Narrator: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."



No comments: