Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Califano

To give you an idea of how the Social Security formula discriminated in favor of women, let's assume I decide to base grades in Con Law on your score on 10 pop quizzes. And suppose further I decide that, in order to compensate for past societal discrimination against women in the law, I will allow women--but not men-- to throw out their three lowest scores.

So assume Mr. A and Ms. B have identical records on their quizzes--they each scored 100% on seven quizzes and 0% on three quizzes. What grades do they earn under my grading formula?

Mr. A has an average of 70% and that might curve out at a 4 or 5.

Ms. B has an average of 100% (after throwing out her three zeroes) and earns a grade of 9 for the course.

If I chose to grade on this system at a state university, would it violate the EPC?

Should I adopt this formula for future classes?

How would a social conservative like Pat Robertson, who wishes to encourage women to stay home and care for their young children, feel about the Social Security formula in Califano?